Considering installing video surveillance in your business?
There are a number of reasons why you may decide to, including:
• To discourage criminal activity
• To protect property
• To provide a safe environment for your employees and customers
• To increase employee productivity and overall performance
However, before you do, here are a few helpful tips to be aware of to ensure you comply with best practice and the law:
• Inform your staff and new employees in writing about the installation of surveillance devices
• Clearly explain to staff your expectations of their conduct in the workplace and ensure they are aware of their responsibility for upholding the organisations privacy obligations
• Ensure signs informing staff and customers of the surveillance cameras presence are clearly visible at each business entrance
• Do not install cameras in private areas such as fitting rooms, toilet or shower areas
Did you know that you need to consider the privacy laws if you are to have video surveillance in your workplace?
You can find more about privacy laws at the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner website.
There are also state specific laws regarding workplace surveillance that need to be complied with in ACT, VIC and NSW. Check these state specific privacy and surveillance rules on the Australian Law Reform Commission website.
Learn more about privacy laws (https://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy-law/)
Learn more about state specific laws for ACT, NSW and VIC (http://www.alrc.gov.au/)